I have been watching Van Helsing and I must say that I am rather disappointed although I will finish watching the complete season. I am up to episode 7 and I like the show overall but a number of things are annoying me.
- The vampires cannot go out in to the sun, so what do the humans do when they travel outside? They stick to the shadows hardly ever walking in the sunlight, they use dark tunnels, they flitter from one shadow to another and keep on telling us that the vampires can get them in the shadows. As long as the vampires stay out of direct sunlight they can basically go and do whatever they want.
- When the humans are being tracked by the vampires what do they do? They wear boots that make so much noise that they can be heard blocks away. They talk loudly when in tunnels, as we all know sound does not travel very far in an echoing tunnel, oh sorry that’s right IT AMPLIFIES THE SOUND and it echoes for long distances.
- In episodes 5 and 6 when the 2 women are escaping from the vampires they go through tunnels and cannot hear the 2 vampires following them – even though one of the vampires lets out an ear piercing screech but they can hear it when one of the vampires gives out a muffled grunt when he gets taken.
- John – if I was a member of this group I would have demanded that either he be kicked out or killed. He does nothing but betray them and sow discontent the whole time. Sooner or later he will get what he wants and get them all killed. He complains when they don’t kill someone then he complains even louder when they do. I know the show has to have at least one person that we do not like but it makes no sense that the group keep him, he is nothing but a danger to them. After his first betrayal I would have kicked him outside or put a bullet in his head.
- The pace is very SSSLLLOOOOWWWW.
I’ll update this again when I have finished watching the whole season (or until something else annoys the hell out me).
UPDATE: 21 Dec 2016, 14:15
Finished watching. I have read a few other reviews about this series and most of the comments seemed to be regarding the ending, words like “unusual”, “unexpected” and “surprising” were used. I cannot understand why! I guessed the ending well in advance and was definitely not surprised, I thought it was totally predictable. I knew her daughter would come into it by the end of the season and that she would be a vampire (actually won a bet on that). As for Axel, from the second the door was closed on him I knew he would be back and not changed, only I thought Vanessa would go back and free him – their way was much better.
Prediction for the second season. Vanessa will bow down to the vampires on the threat of her daughter’s life. This will go on for a number of episodes, of course it will not occur to her to just kill the vampire with her daughter and then bite her daughter to make her human again. Also how come the daughter has not inherited Vanessa’s “abilities”?
Another thing I have issue with is that Netflix are claiming this as a “Netflix Original”, as far as I can find out Netflix had nothing to do with the production of this show. It was made and produced by Nomadic Pictures and distributed by SyFy. The season was broadcast in full on SyFy before it was available on Netflix and it is also available on Amazon Video. I do not think that Netflix would allow any “original” content to be available on a rival service.
Today I was using Channel 10’s catch up service – tenplay. My complaint is not about the quality of the shows nor what shows are available, my complaint is about what happens when you stop watching a show part way through and come back to it at a later date.
Today my computer crashed and I had to reboot, I started up my browser and it opened the tenplay page I was on and started playing the program – all good so far. The problem is that the program restarted from the beginning and when I tried to fast forward to where I was up to I had to sit through ALL the ads again – in this case 13 of them, do you know how long it actually takes to get through 13 ads – TOO FUCKING LONG. why do I have to sit through all those ads again? Why can’t they do what every other TV catch up service does, have a bloody resume option, where you can carry on from where you left off with out going through all the ads again?
Once again channel 10 has shown exactly what they think of their customers – not a fucking lot. Their one and only concern is their advertisers. Well Ten how long will you keep your advertisers if you keep pissing off your clients (ie YOUR VIEWERS)?
BTW I closed the page and did not watch the end of the program. I only kept going through the ads to see how many Ten wanted to foist on me. I have taken note of the advertisers and will boycott them (I hardly use any their services anyway) and I will only ever use Ten’s service again when I cannot get to see a program any other way. Using VPN’s I can watch almost any other program on an overseas catch up service.
Another thing that really pisses me off is the fact that there are no contact details for complaints/suggestions about their web services or indeed about any of their services. They give you details if you want to make a complaint about them breaching the broadcasting standards, I suspect that is only because they have to. They do not want to hear anything from their customers, well then Ten fuck you to.
I used to like this show but now it is just ridiculous. Just watched the episode Plight At The Museum.
- Can someone please explain how by altering the halter of a falcon would allow someone to set its destination? If this was even remotely possible there would have been homing falcons for centuries, why have a homing pigeon when you can have a homing falcon that can fly to anywhere you want?
- Trying to get the element to HS at the front door – WHY? They are in a bloody huge building, there must be at least a MILLION places they could have hidden it. All they had to do was hide it and then go to a different part of the museum, it would have taken the bad guys decades to search the place and I think by then they would have been out of time and caught.
It appears that the writers have finally lost the plot. To make this story work you would have to be the dumbest bastard on the planet (so you do not have to think).
Was just watching the movie Race to Witch Mountain on Channel 7 Sydney, I was bored and it is not a great movie but even so I know a couple of kids that love it. So imagine their reaction when Channel 7 cut off the last 5 minutes of the movie. Nice going 7, showing as much contempt of your viewers as 10. Now thanks to 7, someone has to rent the DVD so the kids can finish watching. I wonder if the 7 editor goes through the kids shelves in libraries and rips out the last few pages of all the books? Seems like type of thing that would get their rocks off – ruining things for kids, letting the parents/guardians handle the fall out. Channel 7 gets my vote as douche of the week.
I also cannot find anyway at all of contacting them or leaving feed back on their web sites, just goes to show what they think of their viewers – nothing.
Channel 10 – your Catch Up service tenplay leaves a lot to be desired and has a number annoying features. The most annoying feature is playing the final set of ads and then returning for the last 10 seconds of program, it has become so predictable that I now stop watching the moment the first ad starts. There is no point watching 1 minute of ads to get 10 seconds of program.
Malfunctions in playing ads.
I have had ads fail to start requiring a refresh of the browser tab and having the ads start from the beginning again - a one time I had to refresh 3 times because there was a problem with the 4th ad, so instead of watching 4 ads I ended up watching 10, not happy.
I have had 2 ads play at the same time - not really an issue for me but your advertisers might get a bit annoyed.
Channel 10 (and other free-to-air channels) have always denied that they increase the volume on their ads over that which they use for the program, I challenge anyone to watch a program on tenplay and try and tell me that the volume on the ads is not at least twice that of the program. It is so bad that I have gotten use to hitting the mute button the second an ads starts.
Timing of ads. When the ads start playing the program carries on in the back ground so we lose a few seconds of the program when it returns. If ALL the other channels can get this right - why can't you?
Your live streaming is also garbage compared to every other service out there – do something about it. My landlord refuses to install an external aerial so my TV reception is crap, most days I am lucky if I can receive more than a couple of channels. I do nearly all my viewing via my PC so catch up and live streaming are really the only way I can watch TV. Your services are so bad that I can get far better quality viewing using a VPN and watching foreign services. I quite often now watch live streaming from the US and UK so I am usually a head of Australia in most programs – yet another way free-to-air broadcasters show their contempt of the Australian viewer.
Come to think of it there is another way free-to-air show their contempt – they lie to their customers. A while back I was watching a match between the Wallabies and the All Blacks, the game was advertised as “LIVE”. At half time I called a friend in NZ and was surprised to find out that the game was in its last 10 to 15 minutes. Since when had a delay of 30 minutes been classed as a “LIVE” broadcast? Fortunately I am not a gambling person or I could have taken quite a bit money from betting on the game (at half time Aus had a handy lead but NZ basically scored at will in the second half and ended winning by a large margin).
Channel Ten and other Australian free-to-air broadcasters, you keep complaining that viewing numbers are down – well stop treating your viewers as if they are morons and just there for YOUR convenience. You are providing a service, WE are you customers so treat us as such.
Elizabeth has been gone for 5 years now and she is still greatly missed. A lovely lady and an excellent actor. For us Doctor Who fans it will be an eternal sorrow knowing that we never get to see Sarah Jane in another episode.
What a load of garbage.
Premise: FBI division that investigates crimes or missing person cases outside the USA that involve US citizens.
Location: Slum area of Mumbai. With a population of over 1 million people per square mile (they state that in the show). The area does not have street names let alone addresses. Cars cannot even use most of the streets.
Concept: Missing Americans in India. Two young men go missing while attending a festival in Mumbai, one turns up in one of the worst slums in Mumbai with a missing kidney (Urban myth anyone?), the other young man is still missing. An FBI team fly to India to take over the case.
Story: In less than 48 hours the FBI, with the help of the incompetent local police force, track down the killer after he has taken the eyes from another victim and kidnapped another American. They save the American tourist within seconds of having his heart removed and/or being burnt alive.
Why is this Garbage? Let me count the ways.
1. They find the killer and three of his victims in Mumbai in less than 48 hours. That is including the day that the victims were missing before being reported and the flight time from USA to Mumbai (16 hours from NY). 48-24-16=8, that means that the story takes place over an 8 hour period. They cannot even find most criminals in the USA in less than 48 hours.
2. They use traffic cams to help trace the killer. The kidnappings take place in a part of Mumbai that does not have street NAMES let alone street CAMERAS.
3. They identify the killer on the assumption that he has lost a family member less than 48 hours previously, it turns out to be his father. Which means that the killer loses his father, plans and executes a plot to kidnap foreigners to replace his father organs (which were illegally removed for transplant), stalk the “donors”, kidnap the “donors” (individually), remove the organs and then patch up the “donors” and dump them where they can be found. The last 2 were completed on the same day during daylight hours, so in less than 12 hours.
4. Most hospital records were not computerized but enough data could still be garnered (by a computer wiz in the USA) so that the FBI could identify the family member that died and through him identify the killer. In a city of 12 Million people with very few computerized records? They cannot even do that in the USA.
5. The FBI travels to another country and can run around with weapons and badges as if they are at home? DO NOT THINK SO. They may be allowed to assist the locals but there would be no way in hell that they would keep their guns and badges for quite a few reasons. Let me pose a question – what would happen if this took place in the US and the foreigner shot and killed a US citizen? The media and public would have a field day and would demand that heads roll. It would be no different in any other country. Let alone the fact that the local population would just tell the FBI agents to go fuck themselves, I would, they are basically tourists with no special privileges. They would have no authority to even question someone, god forbid if they actually drew their guns!!!
I have a lot more reasons why I think this program is a lot of garbage but I do not want to write a novel.