Elizabeth has been gone for 5 years now and she is still greatly missed. A lovely lady and an excellent actor. For us Doctor Who fans it will be an eternal sorrow knowing that we never get to see Sarah Jane in another episode.
What a load of garbage.
Premise: FBI division that investigates crimes or missing person cases outside the USA that involve US citizens.
Location: Slum area of Mumbai. With a population of over 1 million people per square mile (they state that in the show). The area does not have street names let alone addresses. Cars cannot even use most of the streets.
Concept: Missing Americans in India. Two young men go missing while attending a festival in Mumbai, one turns up in one of the worst slums in Mumbai with a missing kidney (Urban myth anyone?), the other young man is still missing. An FBI team fly to India to take over the case.
Story: In less than 48 hours the FBI, with the help of the incompetent local police force, track down the killer after he has taken the eyes from another victim and kidnapped another American. They save the American tourist within seconds of having his heart removed and/or being burnt alive.
Why is this Garbage? Let me count the ways.
1. They find the killer and three of his victims in Mumbai in less than 48 hours. That is including the day that the victims were missing before being reported and the flight time from USA to Mumbai (16 hours from NY). 48-24-16=8, that means that the story takes place over an 8 hour period. They cannot even find most criminals in the USA in less than 48 hours.
2. They use traffic cams to help trace the killer. The kidnappings take place in a part of Mumbai that does not have street NAMES let alone street CAMERAS.
3. They identify the killer on the assumption that he has lost a family member less than 48 hours previously, it turns out to be his father. Which means that the killer loses his father, plans and executes a plot to kidnap foreigners to replace his father organs (which were illegally removed for transplant), stalk the “donors”, kidnap the “donors” (individually), remove the organs and then patch up the “donors” and dump them where they can be found. The last 2 were completed on the same day during daylight hours, so in less than 12 hours.
4. Most hospital records were not computerized but enough data could still be garnered (by a computer wiz in the USA) so that the FBI could identify the family member that died and through him identify the killer. In a city of 12 Million people with very few computerized records? They cannot even do that in the USA.
5. The FBI travels to another country and can run around with weapons and badges as if they are at home? DO NOT THINK SO. They may be allowed to assist the locals but there would be no way in hell that they would keep their guns and badges for quite a few reasons. Let me pose a question – what would happen if this took place in the US and the foreigner shot and killed a US citizen? The media and public would have a field day and would demand that heads roll. It would be no different in any other country. Let alone the fact that the local population would just tell the FBI agents to go fuck themselves, I would, they are basically tourists with no special privileges. They would have no authority to even question someone, god forbid if they actually drew their guns!!!
I have a lot more reasons why I think this program is a lot of garbage but I do not want to write a novel.
Just watched the Dead Wrong episode of The New Detectives: Case Studies in Forensic Science. In the first story the initial investigator must have been one of the dumbest cops on the planet.
The Scene: A house was on fire, when the fire department had extinguished the blaze they found 4 bodies and called in the police. The police found a woman's body in the living room, she had been strangled. Upstairs two children in their beds had been shot. In the master bedroom was the final body - a man, shot in the head. Next to the man's body was found a gun with out a barrel.
Police Conclusion: Murder/suicide, the man had strangled his wife, shot his kids, set fire to the house and then gone to bed and shot himself. The detective then stated that the more he investigated the more sure he was that it was a murder/suicide.
I may not be a detective but I see one small flaw in the cops theory. Apparently after the man had fatally shot himself in the head, he removed the barrel from the gun and disposed of it, it was never found. So far as I know it is not within the capabilities of a dead man to dismantle the firearm and hide the barrel so well that the cops could not find it. Was the man one of the undead ? He had to be to be able to function after blowing his own brains all over the bedroom walls. Wonder how many murderers, rapist, pedophiles and other low life have gotten away with their crimes because of this moron.
Actual Conclusion: The murderer was a pedophile neighbour who wanted the 11 year old girl of the family but got paranoid that the father was setting a trap for him, so he murdered that whole family. It took them 2 years to work this out and the fact the idiot had left a recording of a verbal diary with his sister. The pedophile was sentenced to death, he was executed on 9 April 2003 - YIPEE.
I must state that I have a very high opinion of police, I have had two family members in the force, both are retired for medical reasons.
Started watching the program Second Chance. It is an intriguing program and has kept me interested so far, the story line is OK, the acting is OK and the directing and camera work are better then average. There is however one small issue – the damn transparent glass screens, I can see no reason what so ever for using something like a window as a screen. For any number of reasons it would be impractical.
- If the light is brighter behind the screen, it would be hard to see anything.
- If the sun is behind the screen (which happens ALL the time in this show) you can usually see nothing but also you take the chance of developing sight problems from looking at the sun. In one scene they are using the window-screen to develop an identikit picture, only a small portion of the picture can be seen because the sun is directly behind the glass, yet both people stand there as if the sun does not exist.
- Security. Anything you can see everyone else can also.
- Privacy. Same 3 – everyone can see everything.
I don’t know about people in the USA but everywhere else we like at lease a modicum of privacy. Using a window as a screen you not only have everyone in the room able to see what is on it but the whole damn neighbourhood. Why not just put a jumbo screen on your roof and display everything that goes on in your house ? I have even seen renovation programs where you cannot see so much as a curtain nor blind in the whole house, even the bath room. An episode of one program had a scene of a woman getting out of the bath right next to a window that was unshaded with traffic going by outside and houses across the street – may as well post signs for rapists telling them where the easy targets are.
I have had some A-Holes say that privacy no longer exist, well I dare them to post every singe detail of their lives online to prove it, including bank account details, PINs, passwords, security question details. Lets see how long they last – bet their accounts would be empty within minutes of the info being published – ask Jeremy Clarkson, he thought the same thing, until it happened to him.
UPDATE: 24 Mar 2016 Just a quick update, still watching and still intrigued but cannot see this going another season.
I have just finished reading this article : NSW government lashed over eyeball tattoo laws
What a waste of taxpayer money. Adding/altering laws that so far only affects 1 tattooist who has tattooed only 10 people in 10 years. I must say that I think that getting an eye tattooed is a VERY idiotic thing to do but why spend time, money and effort on changing legislation that affects so few people ? Why not use that time and money to change legislation that will have a more positive affect on society than “ensuring” the safety of an idiot. The thing that really annoys me though is the fact that the State Opposition are criticizing that the legislation is not strong enough, these people were voted into power to look after the people of NSW not just their big business buddies and other morons.
The NSW Government together with their Federal Overlords have gone overboard to protect big business and property owners at the expense of the average citizen. While prices are skyrocketing and rent is going through the roof, both governments are doing everything in their power to ensure that wages and salaries go down making it harder to earn a livable wage but increasing company profits at the same time. Companies will soon be paying even less tax and they do not investigate those that pay very little if any tax (looking at you Google) but woe betide the individual that makes a tax mistake (this is not about me, I do not have any tax issues – yet, until the ATO or a politician reads this ).
Just to make a change I am going to give a positive review.
Hayley Atwell is one of the best actors I have come across in many years. Not only is she talented, she is one of the most beautiful women I have seen in decades.
Agent Carter, great story, great actor. This series is getting better by the episode. And the fact that the lead actor is a babe does not hurt.
Just quick note about Gumtree.
They must use the worlds worst search engine. I searched for a NVidia Shield 8 Tablet and got 2 results for NSW.
Can someone please explain how these are related to my search ? They may be computer related but they are definitely NOT search related.
0 out of 10 for effort Gumtree. I have tried them a number of times over the years and get very similar results, so will NOT be going back to them any time soon.
Thought this sounded interesting, visiting the underground areas of a city, places like caves, tunnels, dungeons. Well I was right it is about those things but it is presented in a VERY annoying way by an even more annoying presenter.
The first episode I watched was Season 3 Episode 1 – London. This is my home town and I am very interested in its history, especially unusual history. I lasted 22 minutes. This show is VERY disappointing and a great number of levels:
- First off, the presenter is one of the most annoying butt-holes I have ever seen on TV.
- The cameraman cannot hold the camera still. It seems he constantly needs a toilet, he bounces around like an eight year old busting for a piss. He was also constantly tilting the camera angle, I don’t know about anyone else but I do not walk around with my head at a 45 deg angle and look at a slanted world and I see no reason why the picture should be presented that way.
- Editing is some of the worst I have ever seen. Constantly jumping from one angle to another for absolutely no reason what so ever, jumping from view to view every second and a bright flash of light between most of them. I was getting a headache within minutes of the show starting.
- The presenter gets an idea into his head and will not let it go until the person he’s talking to agrees with him. For example, when in Bedlam’s Bank the “expert” points to surveyor marks on the wall a says “this is a mark showing an entrance or an exit”, the presenter says “so what your saying is this is witch craft” — WTF ????.. How do get from surveyor marks to witch craft in one breath ? So maybe, just maybe the mark was a surveyors mark for …. wait for it …. A FUCKING ENTRANCE OR EXIT TO THE QUARRY and not the entrance to hell or the fucking afterlife.
- In the segments for Hellfire Caves and Bedlam’s Bank the presenter is walking through the countryside to the sites. With Bedlam’s Bank he was walking through a forest, ducking under trees, stepping over fallen logs. WHAT A LOAD OF SHIT, both these sites have roads leading up to them, for Christ’s sake one of them is a quarry and could not even have existed without roads.
- With Bedlam’s Bank, they must have purposely chosen the smallest, least maintained part of the system. A quick search online will bring up pictures of other areas of the mines that are in a lot better condition, but what the hey, why lets facts get in the way of a good story.
Did not intend to vent for this long but once I started it was hard to stop. So guess which series I will NOT continue to watch ?
I started watching this about a year ago and could not get through the first episode, since then I have made a number of attempts to watch it but for some reason just could not get interested. I finally made it past the first episode (at the time of writing this I am on season 1 episode 8). The acting is brilliant, especially Cloris Leachman. I have always liked her but in this show she is the best. Martha Plimpton, I was never her biggest fan but here she shines, she is a great actor.
This must be one of the funniest shows to come out of the USA in years, it is a shame that it lasted only 4 seasons but I am only on episode 8 and have 80 more to go, wonder if it will get better ? I hope so.
UPDATE: Have now watched up to half way through season 2. Unfortunately I think that the story-lines are getting a bit thin and verging on the ridiculous. I still think the acting is great and getting better but the actors efforts are being let down by the falling writing standards.
More to come.
Subscribed to Presto for a free 3 month membership.
Cannot see me lasting the 3 months. I was getting jaded with Netflix selection so decided to try Presto, I am NOT impressed. Less than a day and I am already bored. There is very little that Presto has that Netflix doesn’t but there is a LOT that Netflix has that Presto doesn’t. For example, under SciFi & Fantasy Movies Presto gave me an option of 75 movies the vast majority of which are old, Netflix – 141 options. The same goes for most other genre’s as well. To top it all off though Presto cost more per month than Netflix. This is Presto’s premium package but my Netflix sub is their budget package. This stands to reason really as Presto is part owned by Telstra which has a reputation of NOT giving value for money (ie make as much money as possible for the shareholders and screw the customer, this is of course only my opinion, cannot afford to be sued by them).
Another issue: The resolution on Presto is not great, certainly not true HD.
UPDATE 22 JAN 16: Installed the Presto APP on my phone this morning. Browsed through and was amazed at the number of different suggestions that did not appear on the Web version, unfortunately that was all I was impressed with. I noticed that they had Miss Fisher’s Murder Mysteries (2012– ) and it was due to expire in a few days so I decided to watch a few episodes. Wish I could – did not matter which episode I selected it played for about 20 seconds and then stopped ??? WTF. This cannot be caused by my phone as I can play YouTube and Netflix without any issues – another mark against Presto.
As a side note – how did they come up with the name “Presto” ? Sounds like they think it’s magic. Got news for you guys – it’s not.
For the Web versions I prefer the Netflix controls over those for Presto, or I should say the lack of controls in Presto. With Netflix you can use the mouse, arrow keys, media control buttons, spacebar etc.. With presto you can use ….. the mouse, media buttons do not work, keys do not work. When using Netflix the left and right arrow keys can be used for rewind and fast forward but in Presto they have no affect what so ever meaning the mouse has to be used which is no where near as accurate.For example, play back crashed while I was watching a program and when I restarted it it had returned to the beginning, the first time I clicked on the progress bar (a good 10 to 15 mm from the current position) instead of jumping forward it jumped back to the beginning, this happened numerous times. Also while accessing the progress bar on Netflix and YouTube the time of the location is shown, with Presto it is not. How can you fast forward, rewind or jump to a specific place/time in Presto – guess each and ever time ? The fail marks are piling up for Presto.
Picture resolution: Ran Miss Fisher’s Murder Mysteries season 1, episode 1 in Netflix and Presto at the same time. The resolution on Netflix was a lot better than Presto’s. With Netflix you can select your default resolution (I set it to 720 as I could not see enough difference with 1080 on my monitor, to justify the bandwidth usage, TV is a different matter – BIG difference). I could not find any corresponding selection for Presto.
Have not tried Presto with Chromecast yet but not getting my hopes up.
UPDATE 23 JAN 16 16:20: Just tried with Chromecast – VERY unimpressed. Could not play anything, all I get is a blank screen (monitor and TV), appears to load but does nothing. That is it, Presto is done. Have cancelled my subscription after less than a week. Biggest load of garbage and biggest rip-off I have ever encountered.