I have been watching Van Helsing and I must say that I am rather disappointed although I will finish watching the complete season. I am up to episode 7 and I like the show overall but a number of things are annoying me.
- The vampires cannot go out in to the sun, so what do the humans do when they travel outside? They stick to the shadows hardly ever walking in the sunlight, they use dark tunnels, they flitter from one shadow to another and keep on telling us that the vampires can get them in the shadows. As long as the vampires stay out of direct sunlight they can basically go and do whatever they want.
- When the humans are being tracked by the vampires what do they do? They wear boots that make so much noise that they can be heard blocks away. They talk loudly when in tunnels, as we all know sound does not travel very far in an echoing tunnel, oh sorry that’s right IT AMPLIFIES THE SOUND and it echoes for long distances.
- In episodes 5 and 6 when the 2 women are escaping from the vampires they go through tunnels and cannot hear the 2 vampires following them – even though one of the vampires lets out an ear piercing screech but they can hear it when one of the vampires gives out a muffled grunt when he gets taken.
- John – if I was a member of this group I would have demanded that either he be kicked out or killed. He does nothing but betray them and sow discontent the whole time. Sooner or later he will get what he wants and get them all killed. He complains when they don’t kill someone then he complains even louder when they do. I know the show has to have at least one person that we do not like but it makes no sense that the group keep him, he is nothing but a danger to them. After his first betrayal I would have kicked him outside or put a bullet in his head.
- The pace is very SSSLLLOOOOWWWW.
I’ll update this again when I have finished watching the whole season (or until something else annoys the hell out me).
UPDATE: 21 Dec 2016, 14:15
Finished watching. I have read a few other reviews about this series and most of the comments seemed to be regarding the ending, words like “unusual”, “unexpected” and “surprising” were used. I cannot understand why! I guessed the ending well in advance and was definitely not surprised, I thought it was totally predictable. I knew her daughter would come into it by the end of the season and that she would be a vampire (actually won a bet on that). As for Axel, from the second the door was closed on him I knew he would be back and not changed, only I thought Vanessa would go back and free him – their way was much better.
Prediction for the second season. Vanessa will bow down to the vampires on the threat of her daughter’s life. This will go on for a number of episodes, of course it will not occur to her to just kill the vampire with her daughter and then bite her daughter to make her human again. Also how come the daughter has not inherited Vanessa’s “abilities”?
Another thing I have issue with is that Netflix are claiming this as a “Netflix Original”, as far as I can find out Netflix had nothing to do with the production of this show. It was made and produced by Nomadic Pictures and distributed by SyFy. The season was broadcast in full on SyFy before it was available on Netflix and it is also available on Amazon Video. I do not think that Netflix would allow any “original” content to be available on a rival service.